Center for Pet Safety (CPS) is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit safety science organization dedicated to consumer and companion animal safety. CPS is a research and consumer advocacy organization working on behalf of pet owners around the globe.
The Center for Pet Safety’s mission is to have an enduring, positive impact on the survivability, health, safety and well-being of companion animals and the consumer through scientific research, testing and education.
What do we do?
- Center for Pet Safety scientifically studies pet products, travel conditions, examines testing practices as well as policies, procedures and regulations in the consumer interest to ensure the best possible chance of survival for your pets, reduce the risk of injury (and reduce the emotional and financial risk) to the human companion as well as limit the risk exposure to retailers.
- Through our affiliations with our Strategic Corporate Partners we have produced significant awareness campaigns leading to improvements in consumer and companion animal safety.
- Through our affiliations with Universities we further scientific research and encourage STEM students interested in careers in The Science of Pet Safety.
- We provide necessary educational opportunities to the consumer, allied industries and the pet products industry. Education and awareness is a key component to our mission.
- CPS conducts rigorous product evaluations on commonly available pet safety products using realistic, specially designed crash test dogs.
- We develop test protocols to examine varied products/environmental conditions.
- We author safety standards to measure whether pet products provide the level of protection claimed by advocates and intended by the manufacturer.
- We conduct studies of varied industries to develop solutions and provide guidance, solutions and mitigate risk to all parties.
- We examine policies, procedures and regulations to ensure fair and impartial evaluation.
- We collect product complaints from pet owners and follow up in the consumer interest to effect positive change in the pet products industry.
- We counsel pet products manufacturers who are working to improve their products and embrace scientific testing methodologies.
- We have developed the Center for Pet Safety Certified Program for pet owners who want only the best products for their pets.
- We work for you, the pet owner, because we know you love your pets and you don’t want to have to worry about their safety.
- We do not use live animals in our testing.
- We are not affiliated with the pet product industry.
- We do not endorse products.